Home > personal finance > IRS Phone Number

IRS Phone Number

April 13th, 2009

With the tax deadline in just 2 days I though I’d post the IRS phone number for those of you who have put off your taxes and are in need of help. Remember, you can get an automatic 6 month tax extension and can efile it for free at taxact. You can call the IRS monday-friday from 7 AM to 10 PM. Here is the IRS phone number:

For Individuals: 1-800-829-1040

For Businesses: 1-800-829-4933

For people with hearing impairments: 1-800-829-4059

Check out our tax saving tips for some good guidelines.

personal finance

  1. lamont ivory
    April 24th, 2009 at 02:55 | #1

    need help please,

  2. Johanna
    June 1st, 2009 at 16:05 | #2

    Do you have a direct number to find out if taxes were received or lost in the mail? They were mailed May 17th.

    • June 1st, 2009 at 18:04 | #3

      Not sure on the direct number to find out that information.


  3. July 30th, 2010 at 12:19 | #4

    need help how do i turn someone in on claimin 2 kids that aint his im payen childsaport on those 2 but he got too claim them and she wouldnt let me claim them on my taxes

  4. May 23rd, 2012 at 16:27 | #5

    Maybe artists are suospped to use Schedule E if they work with oil paint? Bank accounts including CDs should be reported to the IRS on a Form 1099-INT, which only shows the interest income. I don’t know how they can screw that up. However, anything with a fluctuating share price has to be reported on Schedule D, and you have to keep track of your basis (i.e., the original share price) to determine your profit or loss. Unfortunately I’ve heard that if you don’t record the basis, they will assume that the entire sale is profit even if anyone with half a brain realizes that can’t be true. Obviously, that’s an incentive to keep good records! If your money market or CD was through a brokerage firm, it might be easier for them to screw up something apparently listed as a sale so they think you should have reported the sale and the basis on Schedule D rather than using interest section of Schedule B. In other words, about the same level of robotic mindlessness as assuming royalties can only mean Schedule E.If you do have good records, it’s usually pretty easy to fix mistakes. About fifteen years ago I had to send in copies of my records to prove I had rolled over an IRA within the window; that’s all it took to satisfy them that I did not own taxes and penalties for an early withdrawal. Annoying, but not nightmarish. @Philip Owen: You didn’t list the specifics of your issue with the IRS, but I’ll make one general comment. Like any other organization, there are occasional incompetents who can’t seem to understand the simplest things. Unfortunately, when those incompetents have the power to empty your bank account, hilarity does not ensue. If you ever think you’re dealing with one of those, I’ve heard it’s a good idea to ask to talk to a supervisor sooner rather than later.

  1. No trackbacks yet.